St.-James-Garlickhythe

St. James Garlickhythe by Janet Brooke

£225.00

Image size 45 x 22cm, Signed Limited edition of 6

St James Garlickhythe was built by Wren in 1683 to be full of light and is known as ‘Wren’s Lantern”.

The name of the church is derived from the word ‘hythe’, a Saxon word for a landing place or jetty. The stretch of river close by St James’ was London’s most important hythe since Saxon, or possibly Roman, times. Garlic, a vital preservative and medicine in the Middle Ages, was unloaded here and probably traded on Garlick Hill, where the church now stands.

 

Click image to view larger

Description

In the print by Janet Brooke, St James Garlickhythe is seen in strong shadow typical of the narrow streets in this old part of London.

Janet Brooke is a fellow of the Royal Society of Painter Printmakers and she has exhibited internationally. She produces linocut prints of Landmark buildings adored by Londoners. Her series titled ’36 views of Canary Wharf’ is widely acclaimed and a full set of the series is owned by the Museum of London as part of their permanent collection. At Orso Major we have a selection of her prints inspired by the Japanese style of printmaking. The series of City churches comprises 23 Wren Churches and 2 Hawksmoor. The series was started in 2006 with St Brides Fleet Street and the artist added four new pieces to the series in 2014.

Please use the contact form to enquire about availability and pricing.

Enquire

[/x_tab] [/x_tabs]