St. James Garlickhythe by Janet Brooke
Image size 45 x 22cm, Signed Limited edition of 6
St James Garlickhythe was built by Wren in 1683 to be full of light and is known as ‘Wren’s Lantern”.
The name of the church is derived from the word ‘hythe’, a Saxon word for a landing place or jetty. The stretch of river close by St James’ was London’s most important hythe since Saxon, or possibly Roman, times. Garlic, a vital preservative and medicine in the Middle Ages, was unloaded here and probably traded on Garlick Hill, where the church now stands.
Click image to view larger