St. Lawrence Jewry by Janet Brooke
Image size 45 x 22cm
Signed Limited edition of 6
St Lawrence Jewrys sits on a site where there has been a church since the twelfth century. The first church is thought to have been built in 1136, and was destroyed in the Great Fire of London. The church was one of many re-built by Sir Christopher Wren. Work began in 1670 and was completed in 1677. It was one of Wren’s most expensive City Churches.
Click Image to View Larger
St. Lawrence Jewry sits close to Old Jewry in the City of London. After being bombed in 1940, the church was restored in 1957, it is now the official Church of the Corporation of London. Like most Wren Churches few walls are at right angles. The church was described by Sir John Betjeman as “very municipal, very splendid.”