St. Stephen Walbrook by Janet Brooke
Signed Limited edition of 6
Paper size 61 x 31cm
Image size 45 x 22cm
Click the image to view the full picture
Located close to Bank station in the heart of the Square Mile, St Stephen Walbrook is an active Anglican parish church. Walbrook is the name of a stream that runs through the City from Moorfields to the Thames. During Roman times there was a temple to Mithras on the banks of the Walbrook and in 1090 the site was given to the monastery of St John. The stream evolved into a street through the centuries and during the Great Fire of London the church was completely burned to the ground.